Sunday, 21 November 2010

Muffin Top Cookies?

I don't quite know what to call them. But they're good. They were supposed to be cookies. The first batch came out more like muffin tops. The second batch I cooked a little longer and they're more "cookie-ish". You try and decide.

You will need:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Additionally, you could add dried cranberries or raisins. I didn't, but only because I didn't have any on hand. Personally, I think the cranberries would be awesome. At any rate, here's my play by play of the adventure.



Gather ingredients and set  your oven to preheat at 350 degrees. Remember that you’re supposed to be taking pictures and go get camera.


        Realilze you’re gonna need coffee for this because you're too old to stay out until 3 am and you're tired but you promised to post the cookies.  Make coffee. Nevermind that it’s 1:00 in the afternoon.
       
 Note: Please do not look at my outdated wall paper. If you happen to accidently see it,    don't comment on it. In order to avoid periodic episodes of convulsing in the floor it is imperitive that I'm unaware it exists.

      
       Stop making coffee because J wants ramen noodles. It is lunchtime after all. Finish making coffee. Go back to gathering ingredients.

 Realize that you forgot to soften the butter first.Turn the oven off, get butter out of fridge.
Go play bejeweled blitz on facebook until butter is softened.
Ok, finally. On to the good stuff.
      cream together brown and white sugar, salt, vanilla, applesauce, and 2 eggs. In a seperate bowl, combine flour, oats, and cinnamon. Add dry mixture to wet mixture a little at a time. The point here is to add a little, mix, add a little, mix, etc. It makes life easier and ensures that it's well combined. Don't question me. Just do it. It's important because I say so.
      I used my mixer with the dough hooks for this because I'm lazy. I hate stirring cookie dough by hand. And bread dough. And cake batter. And...Oh, sorry. I seem to have gotten off topic.
      Next, grab yourself a spoon. I used my larger spoon. You know, the one D calls a cereal spoon. He's a big boy. With a big mouth. He also uses a Jethro sized bowl for cereal. And 1/2 a gallon of milk and....*sigh* Off topic again.
      Using good sized spoonfulls (Remember I have people with big mouths. They like big cookies. You can make them smaller if you like.) Place them on a cookie sheet a couple of inches apart. Like so...

Do not pay attention to the scratches on my cookie sheets. They look like that because I actually USE them!
The first batch I baked for about 10 minutes. They looked like this:


The texture of these were more like muffin tops. They're good. But not quite what I was going for.

The second batch I baked for 25 minutes. Not on purpose. It was because I was playing on the computer and forgot that I had cookies in the oven. At least I think it was 25 minutes. It could have been longer. Like I said, I was preoccupied. Yikes! They looked like this:



These were ok. They were a little more crisp. I'm not so much a fan of a crisp cookie. But if this is what you like, feel free.

The final batch I went for somewhere in between. I baked them for about 20 minutes and they were the batch I preferred. I pulled these out just as the tops started to brown. They looked more like this:


So, give them a try. Feel free to take liberties with the recipe. I know I sure did and probably will again. I really think the craisins would make all the difference though and if you like them I suggest you add them.

Now, I'm off to clean up the flour bomb that went off in my kitchen....


No comments:

Post a Comment