Monday 23 May 2011

Things that make me feel old…

Note: I guess some of you have noticed I’ve been a little quiet on here. Thing is that I was having trouble with blogger ever since they tried to update it. When they restored it, and the mistakenly deleted posts, it left me with a bad cookie. Took me forever to figure that out. Anywho, cookies deleted, blogger back to normal.
I don’t know why I’m giving any thought to feeling old. I don’t know what inspired me to make this post. But, here it is.
1.       My baby turned nineteen last month. How did that happen? Was it really that long ago that I held that screaming little bundle tight against my chest and rocked him?
I, myself, was only nineteen then. He screamed. I rocked, and whined between sobs, “Why, won’t you stop crying?”
Then, my mother would come in the room and, the way only a labor and delivery nurse (and grandma) can, she would wrap him tightly in a receiving blanket. He would immediately stop crying and drift off to sleep. Burrito blanket is what I called it…
I miss those days.
2.       I look at pictures of myself and my oldest friend, Sara, taken when we were kids. I remember the day we met. I was seven.

Now we have teenage children, and husbands, and mortgages. We’re pushing 40.

3.       Seeing a child I used to babysit on facebook. Except she isn’t a child anymore. She’s twenty-three. She has a husband, and a child of her own.

4.       Walking into the grocery store in the town where I live and meeting the new store manager. Then, realizing that when he was six I used to babysit him too. That was 23 years ago.

He and his two brothers were the most frightening children I ever cared for. Their parents paid amazingly well. I think they were afraid I wouldn’t come back if they didn’t.

One day, when I couldn’t find them after sending them outside to play, I was near tears and about to give up and call their parents. Then, I heard giggling…..

From the roof….

There are so many more things I could add to this list; every day things that make me feel old. I walk a little slower, I’d rather stay in than go out, if it happens after 9 p.m. and it’s not broke, bleeding, or dying, I simply don’t care, etc. etc. etc. …
What makes you feel old?

2 comments:

  1. Knowing that "wings" use to be a hairstyle and not just a panty liner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!!! That's awesome. I had great wings and a beautifully done "pouf". Thank the Lord for Aqua Net!

    ReplyDelete